Minnesota Vikings DE Everson Griffen Leaves Home For Treatment
The Minnesota Vikings released a statement Wednesday afternoon saying the team have been advised by law enforcement that defensive end Everson Griffen has left his home “without incident and is now receiving the treatment he is receiving. needs, ”hours after the 33-year-old posted a series of disturbing Instagram posts on Wednesday morning, claiming someone was at his house trying to kill him.
“We thank the Hennepin County Sheriff’s Office, the Carver County Sheriff’s Office, the Minnetrista Police Department and the Orono Police Department for their prompt response and dedication to ensuring the situation ends peacefully. ”, Indicates the Vikings press release. “Our focus remains the health and safety of Everson and the provision of the appropriate resources for him and his family.”
A statement from the Minnetrista Public Safety Department said Griffen left the residence “without incident” around 2:30 p.m. ET and was taken by ambulance to a health facility. The statement added that the case is still under investigation.
“We have given him the necessary help he needs and [he’s] in the care of medical professionals,” Vikings general manager Rick Spielman said. He added that the team had an emergency action plan which was activated once the club was notified.
Earlier Wednesday, the Minnetrista Public Safety Department said in a press release that Griffen called 911 Wednesday after 3 a.m. from his residence and said someone was inside his home. while asking for help from the authorities. Griffen told the 911 dispatcher he fired a gun but no one was injured.
According to the press release, law enforcement and Viking team psychologists had been in communication with Griffen since about 7 a.m., but Griffen had refused to leave his residence for hours, until the middle of the afternoon. Police said they couldn’t find an intruder at Griffen’s residence.
Early Wednesday morning, Griffen posted several Instagram posts, all of which were deleted, including a video that showed the defensive end inside his house with a pistol, which he said belonged to him.
“I’m at home. N—– trying to blow me up, ”Griffen said in the video. “I still have clips. This is my gun, .45 Wilson Combat, registered in my name. I bought all my balls in town. Dalvin Cook helped me buy this gun. Everything belongs to me, and they are recorded to me. I know exactly where I bought them. I have the card on which I have them. I have everything. “
Cook told members of the Twin Cities media on Wednesday that he didn’t know why he was referenced in Griffen’s video, but had called and texted the defensive end to keep an eye on him earlier today. . Griffen, according to Cook, did not respond.
“Ever since I got here he was one of the older guys who took me under his wing and taught me, ‘That’s what you don’t do, that’s how you do it. do, that’s how you take care of your body, ”said Cook. “How to be a pro. Appreciate him for that, for the little things he’s done. Since his return, our relationship has grown stronger. He tried to win games. We all had the same mission, us, just trying to win games, trying to improve, trying to lead this team in the right way. So we are definitely close. It is my brother. I just want him to be okay. In her mind, make sure her family is okay. I just want the best for Everson overall. ”
In an Instagram story, Griffen wrote: “I need help with the people who are trying to kill me. At my place ”, and he posted screenshots of an alleged text conversation with his agent, Brian Murphy of Athletes First, in which he called for help from 911..
Griffen was alone inside his home according to authorities.
Vikings coach Mike Zimmer said when asked he was unsure if Griffen was safe. Regarding defensive end status for Minnesota’s Week 12 game in San Francisco, Zimmer also said he’s not sure.
“No, that’s really not our concern right now,” Zimmer said. “It’s really about him.”
On his first stint with the Vikings, Griffen took a month-long hiatus during the 2018 season to focus on his health and well-being after the team ordered him to undergo a health assessment. mental and after two incidents involving the police authorities led him to be hospitalized. He said in April 2019 that he had had a “difficult year” regarding his mental health.
Zimmer said he addressed the team on Wednesday morning.
“We are only concerned about his well-being,” Zimmer said. “He has been with us for a long time. Good guy. Work hard.”